From the busy streets of downtown Ferndale to the suburban neighborhoods, finding a reliable roof repair contractor can be an overwhelming task. While finding a roofer is easy, finding the right one for your roofing needs takes careful consideration and research.
Fortunately, Pro Home Improvement specializes in roofing services for residential and commercial properties throughout Ferndale, MI. We are certified by roofing manufacturers like Owens Corning and offer a full range of roofing products. Whether you need clay tile, concrete tile, slate, or asphalt shingle roofs for residential projects or EPDM, TPO, PVC single-ply, and metal roofing for commercial projects – we have you covered!
This guide outlines essential elements you should review when hiring a roofing contractor. It covers common roofing problems, evaluating potential contractors, requesting and comparing bids, signing contracts, managing projects, and more.
Common Roofing Problems in Ferndale, MI
Ferndale, Michigan, is known for its unpredictable weather, which can take a toll on any roof. While asphalt shingles are the most common type of roofing material in Ferndale, they are not immune to wear and tear. Other types of roofing materials can also suffer from the harsh climates of this region.
While it can be tempting to take a DIY approach or dismiss some minor issues, these can quickly snowball into major problems and costly repairs if not addressed quickly and correctly. Here are some of the most common roofing problems in Ferndale, MI:
- Leaky Roofs: This is perhaps the most common roofing problem. Leaks can start from unattended broken shingles, gaps in your flashing, or even clogged gutters. It can affect the underlayment and flashing and even seep into your home, causing damage to attics, ceilings, and walls. Early signs of a leak include water stains on your ceiling or damp and moldy insulation in your attic.
- Wind Damage: The strong winds in Ferndale often lead to shingles being blown off the roof, exposing the underlayment to the elements. This can eventually lead to leaks or structural problems if not addressed promptly. Loose or missing shingles are an early sign of wind damage.
- Ice Dams: Ice dams are a significant problem in the colder months. They form when snow on the roof melts, flows down the roof, and refreezes at the edge, preventing further melting snow from draining off the roof. This can lead to water backup under the shingles and into the home. Early signs of ice dams include icicles hanging from your gutters and ice buildup at the roof’s edge.
- Moss and Algae Growth: Ferndale’s humid climate often leads to moss and algae growth, damaging the shingles over time and leading to leaks. This usually affects the outer layer of the shingle but can seep into the underlayment over time. Dark streaks or green patches on your roof are the first signs of this problem.
- Poor Ventilation: Without proper ventilation, heat and moisture can accumulate in the attic, causing roof shingles to buckle and insulation to lose effectiveness. This can lead to a compromise in the overall structural integrity of the roof. Early signs include a musty smell in the attic or unusually high energy bills.
- Animal Infestation: Ferndale has its fair share of pests, including birds, raccoons, and squirrels. These animals can cause damage to the shingles and even chew through wires or insulation in your attic. If you start noticing strange noises or scratching sounds from your attic, it’s a good indication that there could be animal activity going on up there.
- Shrinkage and Cracking: Asphalt shingles can become brittle over time due to exposure to the elements, leading to cracking and shrinkage. This can compromise the overall integrity of your roof, leading to leaks or structural damage. Early signs of this problem include curling, buckling, or missing shingles.
Benefits of Hiring a Professional Roofing Contractor
Reliability and Expertise
While DIY roofing might seem easier and more cost-effective, it’s often fraught with problems. Not only are many DIY projects time-consuming and complex but there is also a risk of further damage if something goes wrong.
On the other hand, professional roofers bring specific skills and knowledge to identify potential issues quickly and accurately. With class-leading warranties, reliable labor, and quality materials, you can trust that your roofing project will be completed to the highest standard.
Additionally, roofers are up to date on the latest regulations and safety codes in Ferndale, which means that your roof will be compliant with local laws.
Roofing Design and Planning
Hiring a professional roofing contractor is the best way to ensure that your project runs smoothly from start to finish. A skilled team of roofers will help you plan your roofing project and can provide you with advice on the best materials to use for your specific roofing needs.
Given their experience and expertise in the field, they can accurately assess the condition of your existing roof and recommend any necessary changes. They also have access to a wide range of products from different manufacturers, so you can be sure that you will get precisely the roofing system that fits your home and your budget.
Additionally, professional roofers understand how to correct uneven surfaces on your roof, such as sagging or drooping ridges, so you can be sure your new roof is perfectly level and functional.
While roofing projects can be expensive, many companies offer affordable project financing with zero-interest, fast approvals – fast funding, or deferred payment plans. This can make installing the roof of your dreams easier without breaking the bank.
Professional roofers also offer competitive rates and discounts for bulk orders or long-term projects, so be sure to ask them about special offers before you commit. This can help you save significantly on your roofing project.
Warranty and Maintenance
Nothing beats the peace of mind that comes with a good warranty. Professional roofers usually offer manufacturer’s warranties for their products and labor warranties for installation work. This means that if something goes wrong, you have a reliable partner to turn to for help.
In addition, professional roofers will provide you with ongoing maintenance and advice on keeping your roof in top condition. They can inspect your roof regularly and provide timely repairs or replacements as needed so that your roof looks great and lasts longer.
Permits, Insurance Claims, and any Paperwork
It can be challenging to navigate the complex paperwork that often comes with roofing projects. A new roof may require multiple permits and inspections from local authorities leading to long and time-consuming processes. Professional roofers are well-versed in this area and can help you deal with all the paperwork and permits so that you don’t have to worry about it.
In addition, professional roofers also understand how to work with insurance companies if a claim needs to be made on your existing roof. They will inspect and document any damage that needs to be claimed and provide you with a detailed report for submission.
Access to high-Quality Products and Materials
Professional roofers can access a wide range of quality products from leading manufacturers. They understand the importance of using top-notch materials, so they only use the best tried and tested products to last longer in Ferndale’s climate.
Professional roofers are trained and certified by the manufacturers to use their products, so you can be sure that they will provide you with quality materials and install them correctly and per the manufacturer’s instructions. This ensures that incorrect installations do not void any claim or warranty.
How to Evaluate a Potential Roofing Contractor
When you are looking to hire a professional roofer, it’s vital to know that you are working with a reliable, knowledgeable, and experienced company. Whether you are looking for a full roof replacement or just a few repairs, here are some tips on evaluating potential roofing contractors:
1. Check Credentials and Licenses
A roofing contractor must meet certain requirements to be licensed by the municipality. Before hiring a roofer, check your state’s licensing board for information about their qualifications and experience. Thus, you can be sure that the contractor you choose is a legitimate business and has the necessary certifications.
An ideal roofing contractor should provide you with the following:
- Proof of liability insurance
- Workers’ compensation coverage
- Certificates or licenses from the municipality
- A valid business license
2. Verify Insurance and Bonds
Liability insurance is essential for roofing contractors in Ferndale, MI, to protect them from lawsuits should any accidents or injuries occur. Ask your contractor to provide proof of coverage and verify the insurance policy with their provider.
Likewise, your contractor should have valid bonding insurance to protect both parties from any financial losses due to a breach of contract or negligence in service delivery. Ask for proof of bond before hiring a roofer to ensure they are adequately covered.
3. Read Reviews and Testimonials
Do some research to find out what others are saying about potential roofers. Reviews from past customers can give you a good indication of the quality of work and customer service you can expect from a contractor.
You should also look for reviews from homeowners associations, the Better Business Bureau (BBB), or local organizations such as the National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA). These reviews can provide valuable insights into a potential roofer’s quality of work, reliability, and professionalism.
4. Ask for References
When evaluating potential contractors, ask them for references from previous customers. This will allow you to learn more about their work from the perspective of those who have hired them in the past.
The references should include information about the contractor’s quality of work, attitude toward customers, and commitment to completing projects on time. This can help you decide when choosing a roofer for your project.
5. Ensure They Follow Safety Guidelines
When working with a professional roofer, you want to ensure they always follow safety guidelines. They should have the necessary safety equipment, such as harnesses and fall protection systems, to ensure everyone’s safety while working on your roof.
Make sure that they also take steps to protect your property from damage during the duration of the project. This includes covering shrubs and other soft landscaping items with tarps or plastic sheets before starting work on the roof.
6. Services Provided by a Professional Roofing Contractor
Roofing services do vary from one contractor to another. It’s, therefore, crucial to ask potential roofers about their services. Some of the services a roofer may offer include:
- Roof installation, repair, and maintenance
- Shingle replacement or repair
- Design and planning for new roofs
- Installation of solar panels or other green products
- Gutter cleaning and repair
- Regular inspections to ensure your roof is in top condition
- Storm damage repair
- Tree trimming or removal services
Re-roofing, or replacing an existing roof with a new one, is becoming increasingly popular among homeowners. A professional contractor can help you determine the best roofing material for your home based on location and climate.
7. Experience in the Local Area
When it comes to roofing services, experience in the local area is important. A contractor who has worked on roofs in Ferndale before knows about the climate-related challenges and can advise you on the best materials for your roof.
Choose a roofer with experience in dealing with local building codes and regulations. This will ensure that your roof meets the necessary safety standards and you don’t have any issues with local authorities.
8. Quality of Work
The quality of a roofer’s work is one of the most important factors to consider when evaluating potential contractors. Ask to see pictures or videos of their past projects, as this will give you an idea of their skill level. The contractor should also be able to provide references from previous customers who have been satisfied with the quality of their work.
9. Subcontractors or Employees
When hiring a professional roofer for your project, knowing whether they use subcontractors or employees is important. Subcontractors are independent contractors who work on the job site but aren’t employed by the company. This can present some risks since there is no direct oversight of their work.
A reputable roofing contractor should use its employees for the job. With employees, the contractor has greater control over the quality of work and can ensure that all safety measures are followed. Additionally, you can easily follow up with the contractor if any issues arise during or after the project.
10. Get Written Estimates
Before making a decision, ask your potential roofers for written estimates. The estimate should include the scope of work, materials used, and estimated timeline for completion. When comparing bids, ensure that all contractors provide quotes for the same services and materials. This will help ensure that you accurately compare costs without any hidden fees.
Upgrade Your Roof With Professional Help
You don’t have to go it alone when upgrading or replacing your roof. Pro Home Improvement is an experienced roofer in Ferndale, MI, that can help you find the right solution for your home.
Our team of experts provides comprehensive roofing services, from repairs and maintenance to new roof installations. We use the best materials and techniques to ensure your roof meets all safety standards and looks great for your home.
Contact us today for a free inspection and estimate for your roof project!