Summer has arrived and the sun is beating down on us here in Michigan. The sun damages roofs more than you’d imagine. As we have mentioned in the past, your roof protects one of your biggest assets, your home. There are a few reminders below of items to keep an eye on this summer. If you catch issues now, you can avoid expensive repairs later.
Print out this page and take it with you to do your Summer Roof Inspection.
As always, take ALL necessary precaution to avoid injury. Use gloves, eye protection, the correct ladder (with a spotter), and never work near power lines. Work safe!
- Make sure gutters and downspouts are clear and free-flowing. Remove any debris buildup.
- Take a look at any skylights you have and make sure that nothing is building up around it.
- Check any attic fans or exhaust fans to ensure they are working correctly and still venting properly.
- Check inside your attic for signs of moisture or mold. It can happen quickly, so frequent checks are a must. Leaks do not always appear visibly in the house, so a more thorough inspection is important.
- Check for any small gaps where creatures can make their way inside your home.
- Inspect any flashing and sealants for damage, peeling, cracking or bending.
- Check out your eaves and overhangs for signs of water damage.
- Hammer or screw in any gutter spikes that have worked their way out.
- Clean debris from valleys. These are areas that tend to collect all kinds of debris.
Performing these routine checks can take about 20 minutes, but the benefits can help you save thousands. Each individual inspection may not provide that much information if everything seems to be in order. The real benefit will come when you perform this check routinely and get to know what the “normal” is. Without a history of inspecting your own roof, you lack a context to compare against. So, get out there and inspect on a quarterly basis (at least) and definitely after every major wind, rain and snowstorm. You may also want to inspect during any season changeover for signs of arising problems.
Pro Home Improvement has been helping thousands of Michigan residents improve their homes for years and 2016 is no different. This is the time of year that people consider ‘peak roofing season’ but we actually do home improvement projects like roofs, year-round!
If you have any questions about your roof, siding, insulation or gutters, make sure to give us a call at 888-776-1998 and we’ll get you the information and help you need.